Thursday, June 16, 2011

The beginning!

The packing monster has hit our house and it is kind of a disaster. We have seemingly emptied our closets and drawers and have decided to take our house and home with us to the Middle East. Let me just say how unneccesary this is. But, since I am an overpacker in every trip, I am proud to say that I am officially packed for the Middle East and that I am taking with me almost 100 lbs of clothing and items. It is quite sad that I feel that I cannot part with these things. Oh well, we each get to take 2 checked bags for free. And since I have paid far too many times to check a bag, I am going to stick it to the airline and take all the liberties I can with them.
Ryan hasn't started packing yet. We leave in 12 hours. But no biggie. He has all night to pack if need be. And since he is a boy, I doubt he will take too long.... Hopefully.
It has been so fun to pack for this trip. As a woman, there are different dress standards that I am asked to follow while visiting the Middle East. Much like LDS, Muslim women are asked to be modest in their appearance. This is a religious and culural quirk that I have absolutely no problem following. WOmen are asked to wear pants or long capris. Our shirts are to have a higher neck (like a t-shirt) and to have longer sleeves (not just cap sleeves). Many women wear scarves to make themselves more modest.
I do not have to wear a head scarf (hijab) or a burka (a full covering and veil). That is not required in the countries that I am visiting. The only place that I will wear a hijab is out of respect when visiting a Muslim mosque. Sandals are definitely a must. No doubt about it. It is hot in Jordan... When we arrive it will be 10:30 at night and it will probably still be in the 90's. I know most people cringe at the thought of that.... However, my husband and I are odd and we are so excited! Especially after this spring that we have been having here in lovely Provo. A lovely shot of Amman...

Here is a quick rundown on Jordan.... It is a desert. In every sense of the word. Sand and rocks.... No rain and lots of heat. Not everyone likes that combo, but we sure do! This country is part of the Holy Land. It is old and beautiful. I am so blessed to have this opportunity to be living in this gorgeous part of the world...

Oh, and did I mention that we are also going to EGYPT??!!! Because we are....
That fact is the best in the world. For most of you who read this, you might not know that Egypt is the most special place in the world to me. I have wanted to be in the land of the Pharohs since before I can remember. I cannot explain the joy that is in my heart for this country... Indeed I follow the words of the Savior, "Blessed be Egypt, my people." To know that this is the land that my Lord and Savior grew up in just makes me yearn to be there more. I know this sounds a bit obsessive, but that's just how it is. I am just the luckiest girl in the world to be married to a man who loves it just as much as I do. :)





Well, it is time to finish up some last minute packing. I will write often on this adventure. There will be pictures and stories galore. So, hopefully you will all be entertained! And hopefully, Delta will not lose our luggage...  إن شاء الله

No comments:

Post a Comment