Monday, August 20, 2012

The calm before the storm

Well we have been busy bees. I feel like there is never a moment to breathe and then, when I get one, I don't want to be responsible and we go to Seven Peaks instead... It's a vicious cycle that doesn't allow for anything to get done. But it sure is nice. So we will probably stick to that for a while :)

So we have been enjoying out new ward. Our ward members are awesome and we have neighbors that are constantly giving us delicious squash... YUM! Our Bishop is a quiet literary genius with a PhD from Harvard and we have some amazing people who we have become good friends with already.

We (well, really only me) got vaccinated for Peru! I got pumped full of shots (eh, not so bad) but suffered horribly from yellow fever for the past two weeks (never want to go through that again). But Ryan is a trooper and put up with me as I was a sickly fool on the couch. I am kinda going plan-crazy trying to get everything together for us to go to Peru. I am so excited I can't even explain. I am so excited to meet the people and play with the kids, swim in the Amazon River and see bugs the size of a newborn! Alright, I will probably cry when I see the spiders that will for sure inhabit the underside of any bed I sleep in. I am sure their spidey sense has told them to prepare for the feast of my American flesh. But I will sleep in a tent made of steel wool if I have to. I do not mind. I can do this all without worrying about all the strange jungle diseases that I am now immune to thanks to the insanely happy woman who made my arms swollen and bruised with her sharp objects. Needless to say I am salivating right now at the thought of aji de gallina, fresh ceviche, and bubbly Inca Kola. Life will be complete.

I have found a way to keep sane at work while Ryan goes to school! It's this great site called Coursera where they offer free college classes from Universities like Stanford, Princeton, etc. They are the perfect way for me to keep learning without the cost of being an actual student and without the stress of tests and homework. I simply just get to to learn! It is so nice to do something productive with my day instead of listening to the same old annoying music or watching tv shows. Anyway, I am a fan.

And, last but not least, there is a new angel in this world! Her name is Julia and she is the new daughter of one of my closest friends, Kristen and her hubby Mackay. She is only a couple days old and I just adore her. Needless to say, I am DYING to have a baby. There is nothing like seeing how children shape lives and change everything. I literally cannot wait to have one of my own... So, in sha Allah, I can announce that little bit of news soon! ;)

I know that life is going to get crazy different in just a little over a week from now. Ryan will start his Masters at BYU and still be working part time both at the Church and also for BYU as a TA or RA as well as working with Zaytoon and his consulting company. So yes, life is going to be different. I will be going to work by myself everyday and at some point during his Master's we hope to have a baby. So yes, these next two years will be a ton of hard work and getting used to a new schedule but it will be good practice for when we move for Ryan's PhD! We have a great life :)

Oh and we leave for Peru in 12 days... CANNOT WAIT!!



No comments:

Post a Comment