Thursday, September 27, 2012

Peru- Lima

It's quite difficult for me to try and articulate the experiences and feelings that Peru has brought into my life.
This will probably be a multi post trip. Mostly because we took 3 million pictures while we were there and I am sure Blogger will not be happy with my abundance of pictures and videos. So I hope you enjoy.
Well to begin I guess I can begin with the facts of the trip.
We went for a week. We flew in on a Saturday night and came back on the following Saturday.
We had a layover in El Salvador both flights.
Well when we first arrived in Peru, we were met at the airport by Janet. She is the daughter of Ryan's pinchanista in Tuhuantinsuyo which is an area of Lima. Being the wonderful caretaker that she is, Hermana Morena gave us so Peruvian pizza (delicious) and some Inca Cola (blessed goodness). It was a great night to just relax there in their home and meet the family and get back in the swing of Spanish (mostly me, not Ryan). It was the perfect way to start our trip and I immediately felt at home. We went to bed and woke up early to get some breakfast and to head to church. Breakfast was so incredible that I still dream about it. It was so simple and the exact thing I could have ever wanted. It simply consisted of a delectable cinnamon and chocolate hot milk and Peruvian sweet croissants. I told Ryan while we sat there munching at the table and looking out the window that I actually enjoyed that bread better than any croissant I have ever had in Paris. I felt like I was betraying my ancestors... But they can deal with it.
Well after the best breakfast of my life, we headed to the first sacrament meeting of the day!
We went to both wards. I was immediately in love with the people. They rushed Ryan and were so happy to see him. One of the families that he baptized, the Teo's started to just cry they couldn't believe he was back. We were asked to share our testimonies and of course, I started to cry. Typical. I was so touched to hear the testimonies of the other members though and the stories they shared about my incredible husband. I cried for the whole hour. I am sure that there is not doubt in the eternal futures of these amazing people. Then after the first sacrament, I had a wonderful time meeting the members and taking lots of pictures with the youth. Ryan then got to share a qucik 10 minute lesson on covenants in a tiny side room that was packed so full of members from the first ward. Everyone wanted to hear Ryan again. It was amazing to listen and see Ryan in his element and to see that glimpse of him as a missionary again.
Well then it was onto the next sacrament meeting. It's all in the same building so we could just hop in and again we were invited to share our testimonies and all I could say was how much I loved Peru and how amazing and Christlike the people are. Same experience as the first meeting, cried through the whole darn thing...
Well after church we began our trek around the area visiting families and being fed (constantly). It was amazing. I was so amazed by the people that we met even though they might not have been in the easiest of circumstances. The Lopez family, the Oscarino family, the Teo family... Only a few of the amazing people we met with. Ryan baptized the Teo family and they actually have a little boy that they named Ryan after my husband. He is now three years old. It's kind of amazing.
Well after we visited around and ate 5 lunches, we went to the stake center and attended a mission prep class. It was amazing to see the youth of Peru all diligently preparing to go on missions. We even got to be there for a young man to open his mission call. He was so excited, emotional and happy. It was a truly amazing day. We finally went to bed around midnight. The next morning we woke up at 4 to catch our plane to the jungle.
Here are some pictures and I think some videos of our first part in Lima.
El Salvador

El Salvador Coastline
The Lopez Family



We taught a mission prep class at the Stake Center

Some of the future missionaries

Bishop Oscarina 

The Teo Family! Ryan baptized them on his mission and they named their little boy after Ryan! Its the little guy my husband is holding


No comments:

Post a Comment