Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Body After Baby

Well since I have been binge-watching What Not to Wear, I have been watching far too many episodes about women who love being 'comfortable' and saying that because they have kids that they can't take 10 minutes for themselves during the day to get ready.
Now I am not saying there hasn't been a day since Tucker was born (or even before) that I looked like I belonged behind a Taco Bell living in a box eating the thrown out churros. BUT, I do NOT feel like that should be the norm. Nor does it have to be. 

I have really loved being a mom. Nothing has brought me greater joy in life. But I also am still a wife to a gorgeous man! Tucker might not care (at his age) what I look like. But I still want to be attractive to my husband too. There is nothing wrong with that either. It is essential to being happily married. And I don't care if that sounds offensive. It's the truth.
No, Ryan doesn't make me feel badly about wearing yoga pants and Ugg's sometimes. But he does always tell me how beautiful I am when I do take the time to get ready. And that always inspires me to make that effort.
I think that feeling attractive is different for everyone. I don't think it matters what your body type is, EVERY person can be gorgeous. Thank you Stacy and Clinton for showing me that. 

I can honestly say that I love my body now. I have always had body image issues. Growing up I definitely was self conscious about the way I looked. Never anything drastic. But it was always there in the back of my mind. And even throughout college, I still felt the same way. Being married has helped me so much have the confidence to be comfortable in my own skin. And I have to say that Ryan has been the main reason for this change. He has changed my mind completely about image and health and I couldn't be more grateful.
Then I got pregnant. And I had the HARDEST time seeing the number on the scale keep moving up. And then I had Tucker and, although I still dread the process of pregnancy and weight gain, I realized how having a healthy baby is so worth every ounce. A healthy pregnancy is so key to having a healthy baby and being a healthy mom.
Now almost five months down the road, I feel like I am an upgraded version of myself. Yes there are times that I still feel like I am bigger than I was before the pregnancy. And there are times that I still want to hide my stomach and thighs out in public. But when push comes to shove, like today, I feel stronger and more confident than I ever have before. And I can say that with all my heart.
I think everyone should feel like this, even after having children. And I feel like this is the perfect time for me to feel like this for the first time. 
I want my kids (both current and future) and my husband to see this confidence shine out of me. In a world where so much pressure has been put on image, I want my future daughters to have a mother who will help them be their best and look their best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment